Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sometimes a Little Forethought is a Good Thing.

I was sitting here thinking about what to write and the first thing that came to mind was my love hate relationship with chipotle. However, common sense and fear of obscenity charges overrode that inclination.
Instead I decided to dissect this article. While I agree with the premise that being optimistic is something that you can willfully control, it's writing like this that tends to set me off. The author acts like these four secrets are so easy that just by reading the article, you will automatically be a happier person. So let's break down the problems with each of these steps.
Secret 1: Express Gratitude-On the surface this seems like a pretty sound theory. But let's just say that you've just blown a tire, smashed into a guard rail, and your coffee spilled all over your cell phone and the report you absolutely must turn in this morning. Am I really going to stop and take the time to say, thank you negligent person that allowed debris to fall from your vehicle. Now I get the opportunity to use my spare tire. Wouldn't want it to sit in the trunk too long without being used. Plus I get to talk with the perpetually friendly people at my insurance company. And who wouldn't be thankful for the chance to show up to work late and flex your creativity muscles when your boss doesn't quite believe your story?
Secret 2: Volunteer-Ahh yes, when everything in my life is going as absolutely horrible as possible, I want to surround myself with people who are in much worse situations than I. Who doesn't want a side of guilt and shame to go along with all the other crap that's going wrong?
Secret 3: Notice the Good-Ummm...not to sound flippant (well, maybe just a little), but isn't that pretty much what defines an optimist? If you're able to notice the good in every situation, wouldn't it be much easier to expect positive outcomes to every day situations? It's extremely hard for me to notice the good when I have to worry about how I'm going to get both of my grandpa's tractors out of the swamp without breaking anything.
Secret 4: Change Negative Self-Talking-Are you kidding me? Honestly, if this is a problem for you, you most likely won't have the confidence to believe that you can fix yourself. This is like saying that if you have trouble spending money then you should stop spending money. Well thanks for the tip skippy.
Yes, I know that anybody can change their outlook on life, but to write an article that makes it sound like a minor maintenance issue instead of a major engine overhaul is misleading at best.


Related Links
I don't have any related links. I just urge everyone to find a way to volunteer. Whether it's with senior citizens, inner city youth, or in a third world country, the love you show by volunteering will reap a harvest many times what you sow. 

2 comments:

  1. You mean to tell me that the thought of, "Yes I am still alive," wouldn't enter your mind after that horrific accident you described? Or with the tractors you wouldn't think, "Yay nothing is broken." You can feel free to smack me if you can get your hand through the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly wouldn't have those thoughts until hours or even days afterwards. In the moment, I definitely don't look at things that way.

    ReplyDelete