Wednesday, October 12, 2011

One of "Those" Days

Well just like the title suggests, it was one of those days. One of the days that Murphy's Law was written for. It seemed like it was starting out to be a pretty decent day. Nice weather, the sun was shining.
I went early this morning and borrowed my grandpa's tractor. He only lives a mile away so it's pretty handy. My intention was to drive through the woods behind our house to load up a bunch of wood that I had cut up so I could bring it up and split it.
Things were going pretty well. I had made my way into the woods and had some stuff cut up and moved out of the way. So I'm driving the tractor through the woods and the front tires go over a small hump and I immediately sink nearly to the front axle. Try to back up and the tires just spin. I immediately stop, shut the tractor off, and head up to the house. I knew that if I kept trying I'd just make things worse.
Not too bad, I think to myself. The ground didn't seem that bad and grandpa has a bigger tractor. My dad goes to get the bigger tractor and drives out to the woods. He backs up and we get the chains hooked up. He starts to pull and the smaller one starts to move. But then it gets hung up on a log buried in the muck. The big tractor starts to spin its tires.
I need to interject here. My dad has a tendency to compound situations which would be considered less than optimal. It's a lack of patience. Something I struggle with as well.
As soon as the tires started spinning, not wanting to lose momentum, he opens up the throttle. This causes the tires to spin even more. In a matter of seconds, the larger tractor is sunk to its rear axle in the muck.
I'll forego the next few hours as the language is not appropriate. Not on my part, mind you. I'm much too controlled for those types of outbursts. Stop laughing.
Anyway, my dad goes to another farmer he knows and he brings over a bigger tractor to try to help. Notice I said try. It didn't work. Tractor wasn't big enough. But at least we didn't get it stuck.
He goes to another farmer and they bring an even bigger four wheel drive tractor. We break two chains. But we don't get this one stuck either so I guess that's a plus.
Finally we call a wrecker. Apparently all it takes to remove a tractor from the swamp is a hundred feet of steel cable, a massive winch, a block and tackle, and $150 dollars to pay the driver.
At least we didn't break anything on the tractors. Of course, all my wood is still out in the forest. Tomorrow should be fun.

Related Links
This is the type I got stuck.
And the one my dad got stuck.
Things could always be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment