Monday, October 3, 2011

How to Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labor..Warning: Not Appropriate for Animal Rights Activists

Well, as you know, I enjoyed my first success while bowhunting this weekend. Normally the tradition is to have the heart for dinner the same day the deer is killed. Due to family traveling and not getting out of the woods until dark, we weren't able to continue that tradition this year. Just in case anyone wants to try it, if they get the chance, I'll tell you how we normally prepare it.
First, the heart needs to soak in cold water for most of the day. Change the water multiple times. When it's time to get going on dinner, remove the heart from the cold water and cut off all the excess fat, sinew, etc. I cut across the heart making 1/4 inch slices. Next dredge the slices in a mixture of flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, or whatever seasonings you prefer. Heat about 1/8 inch of oil in a frying pan. Oil should be quite hot. Lay slices in the oil. Fry just long enough to crisp the dredge then turn and repeat. Remove slices from oil and place on paper towel to get rid of excess oil. Serve with whatever sides you choose.
This year I tried something different. My dad is having teeth issues so he can't eat anything that requires actual mastication. I cut the heart into very small bits. Along with some of the backstrap, I sauteed it in butter and olive oil and seasoned to taste. After it was cooked thoroughly I added it to some cooked pasta, and stirred in a jar of alfredo sauce. It was quite tasty.
I know that many people, hunters included, abhor the idea of eating any of the innards of an animal. I feel that it's my obligation to use as much of the animal as possible. And for those out there that haven't tried it, you really should reserve judgement until you do.

Related Links
Someone else that had a successful weekend.
A few more recipes.
Other people's opinions on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment