Monday, October 10, 2011

How to Find Different Titles for Your Blog Posts (Don't let the title fool you. This is about football.)

It's a bittersweet day. I'm bringing an end to the "How To" titles for my posts. I decided that I'm much more creative than that and can come up with witty, attention grabbing titles.
Now that that's out of the way. How about them Lions? I'll admit it. I've been a Lions fan since I can remember. My first memories of watching the guys in Honolulu Blue consisted of Barry Sanders making defenders look foolish, Rodney Pete making himself look foolish, and Eddie Murray being their leading scorer. (He was a kicker for those of you who don't remember.)
I suffered through the era of Cocaine Wayne, Bobby Ross, and a wave of other coaches whose potential was dashed upon the rocks of the Detroit LieDowns.
I watched numerous top draft picks amount to nothing. The few talented players Detroit was able to acquire were tossed into the meat grinder of sub mediocrity. Their careers were cut short by injury or indifference when they had the opportunity to get out of Detroit. After all, how many of them would have highlights of their career to point to when trying to negotiate a contract elsewhere?
I remember the last time the Lions made the playoffs only to lose the first game of their postseason. I remember the last time the Lions won a playoff game. That was all the way back in 1991. Twenty years ago.
I remember the sadness when guys I grew up watching every Sunday began to leave the game. Benny Blades, Chris Spielman, Pat Swilling, Mel Gray, Robert Porcher, Luther Ellis, Herman Moore, and the great Barry Sanders.
When Barry walked away from the game, I'm sure I wasn't the only one that felt a tremendous sense of despair. What were we going to do without one of the greatest players the game has ever seen? Turns out, we'd continue to be Lions fans. Suffering the same disappointment year after year.
And just when we thought it couldn't get worse, along came Matt Millen. Never has someone run a franchise so completely into the ground. Millen managed to accomplish the most difficult feat in professional football. So difficult, that no other team had EVER done it. He manufactured a team that was able to lose all SIXTEEN regular season games. As that travesty wore on, I recall having a perverse satisfaction as they drew closer and closer to the unattainable "perfect" season. Seriously, how many others would still claim to be a fan of an 0-16 team? I know I wasn't alone, but our ranks were pitifully small.
That's all changed now though. The Lion's have their first 4-0 start since before I was born. Suh, Johnson, and Stafford jerseys are everywhere. Where were you, my fairweather friends, when Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay could look forward to the inevitable win  that came with a game against Detroit? Where were you when for three straight seasons the first draft pick was a wide receiver? Where were you when Joey "Princess" Harrington was our quarterback? You were rooting on the Patriots, or the Colts, or the Saints. How dare you, now that things are good, come back and act like you're one of us? You haven't the right to call yourself a fan. You turned tail and ran when the going got hard.
I know my words will fall on mostly deaf ears. Nobody will admit to being one of the many on the bandwagon. They all say, "Not me, I was here the whole time." Well I say you're a liar. If that's true, where is your Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, or Aveion Cason  jersey? That's what I thought...That's what I thought.

And don't even get me started on Jeff Backus.

Related Links
The BEST running back ever. I don't care what you think.
What a year it was.
This guy has a slightly different opinion.

1 comment:

  1. *hangs head in shame* You are right, I cannot call myself a true fan. No matter how many pieces of Lion's apparel I buy, I am not a true fan.

    ReplyDelete