Friday, October 7, 2011

How to Do Customer Service the Right Way

Alright, so I've had my current cell phone since last December. It's a droid2 and I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem is that it gets too hot at times and that causes the adhesive which holds the keypad on to break down. I've had three phones in the ten months I've had my plan.
So I took my phone in yesterday to get it warrantied out. As soon as I walked in the door I was greeted by one of the representatives. Even though they were both with customers, they took the time to tell me they would be with my shortly. Too few companies bother to train their people that it is a big deal to the customer just to be acknowledged. I told them not to worry as I had plenty of time.
So I wander around the store looking at the different phones, waiting my turn. Even though she wasn't yet finished with her current customer, one of the reps asked me if I just had a simple question they could answer. I told her no, it was a warranty issue. Again, just letting the customer know you haven't forgotten about them and want to help them as soon as possible goes a long way.
Finally it's my turn. The rep that helped me turned out to be the district manager who was just in the store for the day. She asked me my problem and pulled up my account information and what not. She told me that because she isn't in the stores very often, she's not really familiar with how the warranty process works. She politely asked me if I would be willing to wait just a few more minutes until the other rep was free. I said that was fine and she could go ahead and help the next person waiting.
So the other rep gets freed up and begins to assist me. She looks at the phone to see the problem and calls the warranty division. She tells them the problem and they say they will ship me a new device. Now, I know I'm not eligible for an upgrade for a while so I ask her, because this is the third time with the same problem in ten months, if I can get a comparable phone. She asks the warranty division and they offer me a droid3 at no upgrade charge and they tell me they are overnighting it for no charge as well. Hey, that's fine with me. The rep gives me the order number and reminds me of the procedure for returning the defective phone.
I ask if there is an email address so I can leave a comment about customer service. Honestly, this was one of the best experiences in customer service that I've ever had. And that's not just with cell phones, that's any industry.
So if you work in customer service, you could take a lesson from this story. The customer may not always be right, but you need to do your best to make sure you find an equitable solution so they leave happy.

Related Links
These are the folks I'm talking about
Some people don't deal well with poor customer service
My new toy

No comments:

Post a Comment