Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How to Interview a Celebrity

This is my first, of what I hope is many, interviews. Today's interview is with world renown artist, writer, blogger, and outdoorsman Mike VanLoon.

HD: Mike, I'd like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this interview. I know our readers will greatly appreciate the insight and wisdom you have to offer.
MV: Not a problem at all. I consider it an honor to be selected to be the subject of an interview on such a prestigious blog.

HD: Your wildlife art has gained you much prestige in certain circles. How did you become interested in art to begin with, and what made you choose wildlife as your focus.
MV: I'm not exactly sure how I became interested in art. I just remember always liking to draw. That passion grew as I got older and was fueled by the many awards and honors I received. I focus on wildlife because it's something I have intense interest in and I've always been extremely good at it.

HD: Your drawings are amazing, but I think your fans will agree that your pen and ink work is what really sets you above the majority of the niche.
MV: First of all, I don't believe that anything I do can be considered niche work. Pen and ink is a very popular medium. The same can be said of wildlife art. The fact that I'm very good at combining them should be described as the quintessence of a genre.

HD: That's fair enough. Let's move on to your writing. Where did you get your start with that?
MV: Honestly, that would be second grade. I wrote a book for the Young Authors competition, and while my synopsis of dinosaurian sociophysiology didn't receive the credit it deserved, my interest was nonetheless piqued and I haven't looked back.

HD: What are some of your other writings that we would be familiar with?
MV: My sixth grade Young Authors entry was an award winning play. I've written numerous essays and short stories. I have in my archives a tiny ten page thesis on the fallacy of the anti-hunting movement. I'm also in the process of writing a fantasy novel.

HD: Who would you list as your greatest inspiration when it comes to writing?
MV: This will be an extensive list so bear with me. Pat McManus, Michael Crichton, Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, Tom Clancy, George R.R. Martin, and Gail Martin. Okay, so it wasn't that extensive.

HD: Let's talk about your blog. Hunter's Diversions has become an internationally read source for individuals seeking humor and insight into nearly anything related to the outdoors. What lead you to develop such an amazing resource?
MV: I would have to say that I saw a need in the blogging community and filled it. There were some pretty good bloggers out there, but nothing top drawer. My friend, Shawn Braham, is the author of one of the better alternatives to my site. I highly recommend your readers check him out.

HD: What advice do you have for anyone else that is thinking about creating a similar blog?
MV: Feel free to give it a shot. However, don't be disheartened when you don't have the success that I enjoy. After all, there can only be on number one.

HD: Why don't we explore your background as an outdoorsman. You have been heralded as the epitome of  manly ruggedness, true hunter essence, and humility. How do you handle the inherent burden of such titles?
MV: To me, it's not viewed as a burden. It's a duty, and one that I carry out with pride. After all who else would be worthy of such a responsibility?

HD: Mike, again, I sincerely thank you for your time. I know this interview will provide great inspiration for generations to come.
MV: No thanks necessary, it was my pleasure.

Related Links
Some true masterpieces
I'll give this blog credit for being good.
The most humble person YOU know.