Friday, September 23, 2011

How to Fail Spectacularly

Every now and then you have one of those days that make ya wonder if there is some grand cosmic power with the mentality of a fifth grade sociopath that likes to pull the wings of flies. We'll just say that today was a rough day.
Car maintenance, while critical, is generally not the most desirable of tasks. Yesterday consisted of replacing my brake pads and rotors as well as changing my oil. Completely, amazingly, shockingly, I was able to do that with a minimal amount of time and effort. I didn't break any critical parts, I had all the tools I needed, and there were no leftover odds and ends when I was finished.
Today wasn't like that. Today I had the simple task of having my winter tires and wheels installed. I loaded them into my car and headed to the tire store. I always go to the same place for this. Besides the fact that it's where I got my tires and wheels, I also used to work there. I'm friends with most of the guys and like to shoot the breeze while I'm there. The tech noticed that one of my winter tires was flat, so he inflated it and dipped it in a tank of water to see where it was leaking. He pulled it out of the tank and rolled it over to me and said he couldn't find any leaks. He failed to notice the large bulge in the sidewall of the tire. I did notice and pointed it out to him. I've been gone for two years and still can do the job better than some of the guys there.
So I talk to the salesman about a replacement tire. They happen to show that they have one in stock. After twenty minutes of searching, it turns out they don't. The only store that has one is on the other side of town. I offer to drive over there instead of waiting for them to send someone to get it. After all, I'm in town and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.
I drive over to the other store and wait about a half hour for them to get my car in the bay. Pop open the trunk and lo and behold, the wheel isn't there. The amazing intellects at the first store forgot to put it in my trunk when they pulled my car out for me. So the guys at this store bag up my tire and I drive back to the first store.
I go back to the other store and finally get my tire installed. I'm pretty sure that if I were a normal customer there would have been a lot more apologizing going on. But I guess that's what I get to deal with for going back to a place where a large portion of the employees had the luxury to witness my many mistakes.

Related Links
I actually don't need help with this.
This is why I have two sets of tires
Fortunately my mistakes never included this.

No comments:

Post a Comment