Tuesday, November 15, 2011

You Can't Win 'Em All

Well, today was the opening day of firearm season here in Michigan. I wasn't out first thing this morning due to a conflict with my schedule. Had a Bible study to go to and that was a bit more important than being in the woods at dark thirty. This is actually a big deal for me. As little as a year ago, hunting would have taken priority. But now things are different.
So I got out to the woods about 10:30 this morning. It was a beautiful morning too by the way. The sun was shining, the frost was just starting to melt off the leaves and grass. I saw a few turkeys as I was walking to my blind. I got all situated in my ground blind and began my vigil. Over the next six hours I saw 1,758 squirrels. I was able to keep an exact count as there were no deer to distract me. I also got to see a hawk swoop down and snatch a squirrel off the ground. That was pretty sweet. I'll tell ya what though, the other squirrels didn't take too kindly to it. They raised such a ruckus for the next fifteen minutes.
Something I've come to realize over the past few years, the manufacturers of those "hot seats" for hunters are definitely not thinking about the more rotund people that may use their product. I think my tailbone may actually be bruised.
Anyway, darkness fell without one single deer showing itself. So I came home. Now I'm just sitting here writing this post, waiting for bed time so I can get up and do it all again tomorrow.

Related Links
I'm pretty sure this is the type of hawk I saw today.
And this was its dinner.
Christmas is coming. Maybe your loved ones would appreciate something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment